Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Crocodile Crescendo

I substitute-taught Singing Time in Primary on Sunday. I absolutely loved it! It had been a long time since I taught a large group of children, so I had fun dusting off my classroom management skills and thinking up creative ways to teach basic principles.

I decided to build on what the children already know. The former (fabulous) chorister created two signs with dowel rods and paper that display dynamic symbols on the front and back-–pp & mp on one, mf & ff on the other. So I decided to teach them about crescendos and stick with the principle of dynamics.

The kids seemed to enjoy my comparison of the crescendo’s shape to the shape of a crocodile’s mouth. When I asked them to show me (without talking) what a crocodile mouth looks like, they gleefully snapped their hands. I proceeded to draw a large crescendo on the chalkboard–-including a few teeth :)-–and they made snapping motions once again. Each had his or her very own crocodile crescendo. It was delightful.

We did several activities with the chalk croc, and of course much shouting ensued when we first reached the loud end of the spectrum. So I playfully reminded them that we were having Singing Time, not Screaming Time. I think the adults picked up on my humor more than the kids, but the little ones soon got the point as I reviewed what it feels like to scream, and what it feels like to sing. I was very happy with the beautiful forte sound they made after that.

I loved teaching the children. The happiness I felt reminds me that I truly enjoy all levels of music education.

No comments:

Post a Comment