My program director received a link to this video lamenting the life of a basic science PhD student as a parody to a Lady Gaga song. It's pretty funny to me, because it is pretty representative of some common frustrations in lab life. Some of you may appreciate it, others may not. Also, please excuse the profanity.
Despite the despairing message of the video, I am really looking forward to working in a lab this summer. Right now I am just starting my medical school boards study which means cramming in facts and learning buzzwords for specific diagnoses. It's a lot of work and not that rewarding, at least for the moment. What I love about grad school and what I look forward to this summer is using my mind to solve problems and get answers that nobody in the world knows. Despite the analytical nature of science, it does require creativity and problem solving that is much more gratifying than memorization.
This summer, I will work in a lab that studies pancreatic islet cell transplantation as a potential cure for diabetes. At the end of the summer, I will choose between this lab and the one in which I rotated last summer which studies gastrointestinal inflammatory diseases such as Crohn's and ulcerative colitis. Wherever I end up, I hope my experience is better than that of "Lady Science" in the video!
No comments:
Post a Comment